Monday, May 14, 2012

Part of the Scenery


By: Smiley Face Now

There are few things in life that will make you smile more than observing your child completely absorbed in their own goings on, oblivious to your presence.  I just had such a moment picking up my daughter from school with one of her little girl friends.  When I tell you that they did not stop talking from before I actually saw them outside school (I could hear them) and they are still talking now as write this.  But what made it funny is that they can interact with me as they need to and still not miss a beat.  Let me explain.






Picture a flood tide of kids coming toward you as you crane your neck searching out your little cherub.  They are all talking a mile a minute and it sounds as if I’m in the middle of some massive cocktail party.  Then out of the cacophony I pick out my daughter’s voice – amazing that parents can do that, it must be an evolutionary thing.  So as the two fast friends come walking toward me, it goes something like this: blah, blah, blah, hi Dad, blah, blah, blah and off they go toward my truck without even a pause for me to respond.  They juggle their backpacks, open the truck doors, climb in, buckle up and sit expectantly as I get in myself, all without missing a word to each other. 

They kind of knew the plan anyway so I guess they really didn’t need me to say anything.  It was in the truck that I saw the true depth of their comfort with each other.  They were telling each other stories, but in the way only little girls can, with both talking at the same time.  Then one said something funny, they paused for a second and then they both busted out in the biggest belly laugh you ever heard.  They cracked each other up and were in tears not three feet away from me and I had no idea what they were laughing about.  I was just part of the scenery.

They continued talking as I pulled up to the house, parked, got them both out and headed toward the door.  They walked up the stairs, into the house, through the dog (no mean feat, she’s a 10 month old golden retriever puppy that wants some attention when you come home) and up to my daughters room.  They are still talking now and I daresay will continue to talk…until they get hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment